Friday, January 19, 2007

Herein lies the deal.

Here's the deal.

I like history.

I like trains.

I like Sacramento.

I especially like Sacramento history, especially that having to do with trains: Southern Pacific and Western Pacific, Central California Traction, Sacramento Northern, Sacramento Valley Railroad, Sacramento Southern, Pacific Gas & Electric (they ran the streetcars until they sold to National City Lines in 1943) and so on. Especially the streetcars. I like this stuff so much I wrote a book about it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sacramentos-Streetcars-Images-Rail/dp/0738531472

Why this blog? Because I think more people should be talking about, and hearing about, Sacramento's history. For the most part, the only local history that gets much attention is the Gold Rush and the Transcontinental Railroad, and the past 130 years pretty much went on without comment. Sacramento is one of the oldest cities in the state of California, but much of its history, like its historic buildings, is hidden from view and unknown. I aim to preserve both, or at least get people talking about them, and hearing about them.

And by posting my natterings about them in a potentially worldwide forum, I figure at least six people will be reading them.

2 comments:

GA said...

Excellent! I look forward to this!

Anonymous said...

Great work on "Sacramento Streetcars"! Hopefully I'll finish remodeling my house soon so I can re-read it.